In My Life

Life from Nov. 1, 2003 - the day I started my new life in Rochester, NY

Saturday, April 23, 2005

mobility

Well, Jude's newest trick, which he has acquired way too quickly for my liking, is that he is pulling up on anything and everything. Cruising will not be far behind and then probably walking. Goddess help me.

We went climbing tonight - Tom and I were going to just go and then we invited David and the girls and it was so much fun! I have never really climbed a real wall before. I think all the coaching and gymnastics has been good for me. I was able to go up the beginner walls right away, although the first time I got a little freaked out by the height and stopped short of the top. The second time I went all the way. Then I climbed a bit of a harder wall. The one guy said I should try some of the trails next time. Pretty exciting!

Soren made the top of the wall she was working on and was thrilled with herself. Emma cruised all over the place. Then we went in the cave and I actually made it onto the ceiling my first try! Soren made it almost and then jumped down and twisted her ankle in between the mats. That was the end of her climbing for the night, but I think she's OK.

The owner was there and spent a lot of time talking with us. He's super cool. He said we can bring Jude's pack and play and put him by the desk while we climb, and was cool with us wearing him in the backpack while we belayed each other. Jude was happy most of the time and David held him for a bit after Soren got hurt. I was a bit worried about belaying Tom since he's so much larger than I am, but the grigri works great and it was no problem. I just had to try to keep up with him since he is tall - one step for him is about 2 ft. of rope to bring in the slack for!

Anyway, I had a blast. My forearms and hands are tired but I used my legs the most, which was the advice from the staff. I feel like I did really well for my first time and it was fun to get the kids in there outside of class to climb. Everyone was so friendly! We also met my friend Michelle's ex-boyfriend, Eric. He has super long dreads and a few piercings. The kids loved him. He is really sweet and turns out he lives just a few blocks away from us now so he invited us for a grill out sometime. He just started climbing too and is already all over the place, so maybe I'll catch up ;). He's only about 8 years younger than me ;).

Must get up at the buttcrack of dawn to go to Emma's meet tomorrow morning. She is shooting for at least a 34, which she'll have to work hard for, since she had a very poor score of 31 something last meet. Should be interesting! I hope she wins something and has a good meet. They've been out of the gym all week and are out of that mindset.

Note to susie - found out that the VA can't help us at all anyway. Bummer.

Oh, and my dad's hand is broken. No cast or splint though. It's at the base of his pinky and in a place that is difficult to immobilize. Hopefully they can get him to rest it for a couple of weeks so it heals well.

Off to eat and then hit the sack. 5:30 is going to come way too soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home