In My Life

Life from Nov. 1, 2003 - the day I started my new life in Rochester, NY

Sunday, February 08, 2004

Back from the mountains

I haven't packed anything yet, other than for our trip to PA. We successfully got to PA Saturday morning, although it took us 5 hours because it snowed most of the way through NY. Unfortunately, I didn't get there in time to make it to the bank, which I need to do to change what kind of account I have and to change my last name on it.

I did manage to go to Kid to Kid and I scored maternity pants! I got 2 pairs of Old Navy jeans, one of which are capris with embroidered flowers on the pants bottoms; a pair of Motherhood Maternity khakis; a pair of cargo shorts and a pair of sweat pants for work. I also got Emma a fleece sweatshirt, a denim jumper, also with embroidered flowers on the hem that came with a pink shirt; a pair of pajamas, a really cool pair of Osh Kosh pants and a khaki skort. All for $61! They have so many great clothes and baby stuff for such good prices.

My friend Erica went shopping with me and we had lunch at Bonfatto's, where they have wonderful hoagies. Then we went back to her house and I took a rest before I visited my dad. I had a nice visit with him and then went back to Erica's and we had raviolis and sauce and salad for dinner, then made decaf coffee with a bit of Godiva liquor in it while we watched White Oleander.

During dinner we had a really interesting discussion about raising children (she's childless, but her sister is pregnant with #5) and La Leche League and parenting thoughtfully. It was really good for me to re-articulate my beliefs about a lot of things, just for my own sake and to remind myself of how I want to parent.

The movie was very good but very intense and brought up a lot of memories for me of being in foster care and a group home and rehab. The acting was superb. It made me think a lot about the fear and uncertainty of my adolescence. It certainly was not in a city environment, but the feelings are the same - both on the part of myself and I believe my mother, who tried to sabotage foster care placements in much the same way Astrid's mother did in the film. It was really just so well done and researched.

This morning I picked the girls up around 10 a.m. so we could get back in time for the twins' birthday party at the East Rochester YMCA, which was just an amazing place. More on that later. When I went to pick up the kids, I initially thought they were playing in the yard with some other kids, but it turned out to be my kids after all, wearing outerwear that I hadn't seen before!

I don't know if I've mentioned this lately, but I haven't talked to my mother since my birthday on Dec. 23, although I emailed her twice after that. We had a fight on my bday and I hung up on her because she was so rude. Anyway, the girls have been wanting to call her, and I told them I wouldn't keep them from calling her (because my mom ruined my relationship with family members by not allowing me contact with them because of HER issues with them when I was a kid), but I explained that I felt that it the ball was in her court to call us and apologize for her actions, and that to punish the girls by not talking to them because she was upset with my life choices was immature.

Anyway, on the way to PA, Emma asked if they would see her this weekend and I told her she needed to ask her dad since we only had planned time for their visit with him and since it was his time, they needed to arrange other visits with him. I really didn't think she'd ask him, because it is well known that David and Betty have never liked each other and never will, but apparently she did. Blessings upon his head, because he put aside his utter distaste for Bettyness in the world and took the girls over there and even went out to Ruby Tuesdays with the girls and Betty.

So anyway, she got Soren a brand new coat, that is *really* cool. It's purple with a big fuzzy hood on it that zips off, and the inside liner zips out into its own lighter jacket and is reversible - waterproof one one side and fleece on the other. She got her a matching hat and mittens to go with it and a bunch of clothes.

She got Emma a very cute fleece scarf and a trapper's hat that matches the shearskin coat I got Emma for Solstice. She got her a really cool fleece sweatshirt and pants and a bunch of other clothes too. Apparently she also got me a couple of gifts, but when I got home and unloaded the bag, it appears that she held them hostage at her house rather than send them with the girls. How immature. I know she wants to wait until I am forced to come to her house when we finally talk again so she can make it some big guilt-inducing ordeal where I have to ooh and aah over whatever she got me. Ugh. The whole thing is disgusting. I'm so glad that I am not talking with her right now.

Aside from Betty-horror, their Dad visit seems to have gone well. They had their first legitimate overnight with him last night.

So anyway, after 4.5 hours of driving, because we had to stop at fast (hahahahaha) food McDonald's for food, we had to drive to the north of the city to stop home to pick up the boys' bday present, and then drive all the way to the southeast end of the city, at least a good 20-25 minute drive) to get to the party at the YMCA. We were quite late, but got there just in time for pizza, cake and presents. The Y gracefully allowed the kids to go back into the playroom afterwards even though the allotted party time was up, and the room was amazing. The entire floor was filled with mats that could be jumped on, rolled, moved, etc. There was a rock wall and a huge climbing mountain that could be slid back down and all sorts of climbing stuff on the walls.

On the way home from the YMCA, we started talking about buffalo wings, and ended up talking about prostitutes. It went something like this:

Emma: So where are we flying out of?
Kelly: Buffalo. Southwest doesn't fly out of Rochester.
Soren: Are there buffalos in Buffalo?
Kelly: (laugh) nope! but that is where Buffalo wings got there name.
Soren: Buffalos don't have wings! Do they?
Kelly and Emma: No...
Kelly: But that Jessica Simpson thinks they do.
Emma: Who is Jessica Simpson?
Kelly gives brief explanation and wonders aloud how she got famous, because it certainly wasn't for her talent.
Emma: Maybe she got famous for her prettiness. Do you know that a lot of people go to see Britney Spears because they think she's pretty?
Kelly (in a fit of not thinking before opening mouth): I don't think she's pretty. She wears too much makeup and she dresses like a prostitute (side note: Not that I care, I just was shooting off my mouth).
Emma: What's a prostitute?

Egads. It turned into a whole explanation and philosophical discussion of women's rights and laws and then I realized that we were going to Las Vegas, where I believe it's legal and that led to a discussion of why the government makes laws about how people use their bodies...then we ended up explaining to Soren how babies are made (again) because Emma asked a question about whether prostitutes have a lot of babies.

Wow. I guess kids learn about this stuff somehow. I think I am glad that they are comfortable asking me questions. I think.

So, after 5.5 hours in the car, just today, and 10.5 hours total this weekend, we're home again and planning to watch Practical Magic before the kids go to bed. I hope it's not too terribly mature. Emma has her heart set on watching it.

Anyway, I better pack tonight, or at least start. Argh!

Oh, and my child support *still* hasn't been deposited. I'm freaking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home