In My Life

Life from Nov. 1, 2003 - the day I started my new life in Rochester, NY

Monday, January 24, 2005

Free time for Tom

He's finally going to get some, because...tada! He got fired today! Yay! I know that sounds crazy, especially given how much I bitch about money, but his job has become a major source of stress.

They are just evil people.

1. He had one on-call day a week, where he couldn't leave the complex and so I would always pack us all up to stay there.

2. They wouldn't let us get rid of the townhouse or downsize to an apartment and give him the money in his paycheck. So he made $8.75 an hour to work his ass of and have a house that we didn't use.

3. They never even verbally gave him condolences when his dad died (although the office girls gave him a card) and they never congratulated him on the birth of his first son.

4. They complained that he was thorough and did things right. They wanted him to rush things and do a half assed job so the apartments could get rented out faster and they could spend less money on paying the guys to make them right.

5. They expected him to be on call 24/7 if it was going to snow, which is ultimiately why he got fired. Because he chose to drive to PA with us in icy/snowy conditions instead of stay here to help shovel.

6. He's been asking for a copy of the employee handbook (which might have outlined that he really *did* have mandatory overtime?) since May, and they still "haven't finished it," and "they are not legally required to have one for their employees."

7. They didn't even give him a verbal or written warning and they fired him over the phone when he got to work early this morning.

8. They fired him, even though he called his boss on Saturday morning to tell him he wouldn't be here this weekend (oh, and the guy hung up on him at the time).

9. He has never, not once, been told that he did a good job on something,e ven when he was the *only* guy who was outside in minus zero weather for 9 hours a day, 4 days straight last week. Oh, make that more like 12 hours a day, because he got called in to be there at 5 a.m. every one of those mornings to salt the sidewalks and stoops.

So...I'm glad he got fired. He was too ethical to "leave them in the lurch" and quit, and now he can work for people who love him, his clients that he had before taking this job. The only thing that sucks is that we lose our health insurance, but we can get Healthy NY for almost what they took out of his paycheck every month and he'll be making a lot more money working for himself.

So, I applied for unemployment for him online this morning, about 2 hours after he got fired, got insurance information sent to us, and am going to make an appointment for alternate insurance through the state, which isn't welfare, but is for low-income families. I also sent out a resume for a freelance job doing research for Berkeley.

I wish so bad I could go over to his boss and tell him what I really think. That jerk. He doesn't know what he's losing, but I know what we're gaining! Now he won't have to be away one evening a week, he'll get to spend more time with us, and he won't have to rush around all the time. It will be wonderful.

maybe he'll even get his sex drive back with all that stress gone ;).

OK, Jude pooped, Soren needs me to look at Barbie online and I have laundry to switch, math to teach, and dinner to make and then I ahve to go to work! Ack!!

But I get to sleep in w/ my dh tomorrow :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home