In My Life

Life from Nov. 1, 2003 - the day I started my new life in Rochester, NY

Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Catching up

Karen and "baby" Catherine, who is no longer a baby, came to visit for 2 days over the weekend. It was lovely to spend so much time just the 3 of us, although I wish the girls had been off school, as they enjoyed Catherine very much and I think it gave Karen a break to have them play with her and keep her occupied.

I love to hear C. talk - she is so cute and has such a personality. The last time I saw her she was very quiet and shy and she really warmed up this time. She reminds me a lot of Soren at that age, although she doesn't have the tantrums that Soren had (has?), thankfully for Karen's sake!

I've been struggling with homesickness - literally, I feel like a homing pigeon, like my house in PA is drawing me and I just *have* to go there and I'm desparate to get out of here. It felt much worse after Karen and Catherine left, and I spent much of the day fighting tears. Actually, I spend just about every day fighting tears lately. And losing, for the most part.

I can't wait to go home this weekend. I might even stay through Monday, because I am so lonely for my old friends.

Anyway, enough of that, or I'll be a blubbering idiot again, and I don't have time this morning, because I have to go to work. Which incidentally, is going to suck. Wed. and Thurs. mornings have been my office hours, but the woman who taught toddler classes during that time is due with her baby next month and isn't teaching this session. My boss waited till the last minute to find someone to replace her, and *I* eventually asked one of our coaches who has been off for awhile, and she initially said yes, but then backed out at the last minute. Sooo, I have to teach these classes. And I really don't like teaching preschool classes. Not that I don't think the kids are adorable and cute and funny - but I'm enjoying my break from damage control now that Soren is 5, and I'd rather not spend time keeping 8 kids from killing themselves for an hour. I much prefer teaching children that are a bit older. So the next 9 weeks of mornings will pretty much not be something that I'm looking forward to.

The principal of the school called me back on Monday night and Emma IS going to move to another class, although the principal tried to make it seem like *my* problem and not Emma's. I told her I'd have a final chat with Emma and get back to her, which I did and after a lot of angst over leaving her new friends in her classroom, she really did feel that she'd be better off with another teacher, which shows incredible strength and maturity on her part, I think, so I left a message for the principal yesterday. Joy. She'll finish out the week in her current class, which is good, since her birthday is tomorrow and she wants to bring cupcakes in for her classmates. I feel terrible about the whole situation really.

Anyway, as I said, tomorrow is her birthday, so I'm making 3 dozen cupcakes to take to school, and then she wants to go out to dinner tomorrow night. Friday they have no school, so I'm taking them to Strong Museum and then she has her birthday party at the gym Friday evening, which should be fun!

Then we get to go home on Saturday. Woot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home