In My Life

Life from Nov. 1, 2003 - the day I started my new life in Rochester, NY

Sunday, February 29, 2004

Question #2

Diane asks "How did you and Tom meet? The first time and then again fairly recently, right?"

We apparently met once several years ago at a party my friend Danielle had (she lives here in Rochester and I've known her since I was 15). Neither of us remember the other, but he remembers David and Emma and Soren. I think Soren was pretty little then so I was probably oblivious to just about everything except mommyhood at that time.

We met again last winter Solstice at Danielle's annual Solstice party (do you see a pattern here with Danielle?) It really was a blatant attempt on her part to set us up. I had just started dating Justin in late fall 2002 and Tom had been divorced for about two years. There was definitely all kinds of energy there, but I had just started dating for the first time since separating from David and four hours seemed insurmountable with 2 kids.

However, he called me after he left Danielle's that night and we talked for a long time.

Earlier that evening we had gone out to the pier at Ontario Beach Park and the next day we got together and had dinner at a great Mediterrean restaurant and then we started emailing and calling each other and building a friendship over the next 9 months.

What's interesting is that Tom was horrible at typing and it was a huge effort for him to type long emails to me, but he perservered!

The girls and I came up to visit in August to go hiking at a local park here in Rochester and when he left after dinner that night, I cried. I went home and told Justin that I wanted to explore things with Tom and he came to admit that he had spent the weekend with his 18-year-old intern from work. Soo...that was pretty much the end of that!

Tom and I started driving back and forth every weekend and I got a cell phone so we could talk at night. I had an epiphany during a therapist appointment in October and moved here November 1, 2003. We stayed with Danielle and Mike for a few weeks until we found a townhouse and got married on Winter Solstice, Dec. 22, 2003, and managed to conceive on our wedding night.

So here I am, in Rochester, with a new husband, pregnant with my third child, my house still on the market in PA and poor has hell ;) But happy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home