In My Life

Life from Nov. 1, 2003 - the day I started my new life in Rochester, NY

Friday, January 16, 2004

Midwife Appointment

I had a dream last night that I was interviewing my midwife (which I'm actually going to do today) at this birth center out in the middle of the woods. There were 3 mw's that lived there, and all their kids were running around. There was a cool house with a huge deck in back with a kids wooden playhouse/treehouse there. There was also a hostel of sorts, as it was on a lake, and people kept coming in on canoes to rent rooms for the night.

I was talking to the mw, and her apprentice did this weird trance thing and said that she knew I was going to have a boy with blue eyes that is tall (hmm...sounds like Tom! LOL!).

The other weird thing is that Danielle dreamt about 6 years in the future - I had a 5 yo boy, a 2.5 yo boy and was pg. again. Yikes.

Gotta go wash Soren's hair.

These are the questions I got from my hb list for the mw:
How long has she been a midwife?

Where did she attain her training?

How many mothers has she delivered and how many were home births?

Does she work alone? with apprentices? other midwives?

What happens if she must transfer to the hospital? What is her transfer rate?

Would you stay with me in the hospital?

What are her views on episiotomy?

What is her fee. What does this include? When does it have to be paid?

Can you submit your charges to my insurance company?

What payment arrangements do you make?

Ask to be given their names and phone numbers as references.

Prenatal Care

If I am planning a home birth, do you come to my home any time before I go into labor?

How often will I see you? What do your checkups consist of?

What are your guidelines concerning weight gain, nutrition, prenatal vitamins, and exercise?

Do you have guidelines or restrictions about who can give birth at home?

What kind of equipment do you bring to a birth?

Are you permitted to administer any drugs during labor? How many people are allowed to be around?

Will you allow my partner to be as active at the birth as he desires?

Do you examine the baby after birth?

Do you give eyedrops or shots to the baby?

Do you issue a birth certificate?

Do you have a pediatrician you work with or recommend?

How do you feel about circumcision?

How often do you come to see me after I give birth?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home