In My Life

Life from Nov. 1, 2003 - the day I started my new life in Rochester, NY

Monday, December 27, 2004

More holiday stuff

So far, what I've seen of their holiday presents from going to David's dads is pretty overwhelming. We are going to go downstairs in a bit and go through everything.

They did get gift certs to Toys R Us and Emma got an electronic game that is like skee ball, which I even like to play. She also got this huge ball that expands and contracts. It looks like it's made out of K'nex. She says she can't even remember all the loot she got! she got a quill, (my mom got her a calligraphy set too), a leatherman, 2 marionettes, etc.

Soren got a new baby doll, which I'm trying to get her to nurse instead of bottle feed, although she said she pumped the milk ;). David had bought her a baby doll a while ago that was supposed to feel like real baby skin, but when it came, the body was inflatable like a balloon. It has normal rubber arms and legs, but I don't know why it's made like that! David thought it was really weird, so got her a different one. She got a ton of stuff. I'll just have to wait till I see it all.

Let's see...I wanted to post about my dad. He continues to deteriorate. Apparently he still had a Kay's Jewelers credit account and one of the guys that was living there talked him into letting him buy $1200 worth of jewelry on it, and then split town. I will have to find some way to deal with this, as he is in no position to pay this off.

He also cashed in his life insurance policy and when I finally confronted him about why (the check came to me), he told me to pay back my brothers for taking care of him (!) (?) These are the kids who left him to live w/o electricity or heat in a drug-infested townhouse complex for four months and stole his settlement money so he couldn't live in his nursing home anymore. I am trying not to be insulted because I know he has dementia, but I get really tired of being accused of stealing his social security money and being mean to him when he would be living on the streets or worse if I hadn't found out what was going on and become his guardian. Argh. I paid off so many of his debts too! I can't believe he still thinks they should get all that money. Good grief.

Anyway, so I need to deal with that, and the assisted living facility is going to tighten down on checking his mail and I think I will have to disconnect his phone so he can't be so sneaky anymore. He also will have to check in every 2 hours if he goes out, because he gets lost, and they are going to put an alarm on the house with a bracelet on him that will trip it off, like they do with Alzheimer's patients. I kn ow I need to start looking into moving him into a more secure facility for his own safety. It makes me very sad though. I have tried to let him stay as independent as possible and those days are now over :(.

So, that was very stressful. Between my mom's intensity and my dad driving me over the edge, my jaw ached from clenching it when we went back to Erica's on Saturday night.

So. Still lots to say, but need to feed the girls and get Jude down for his nap.

Briefly, I had weird dreams last night. I dreamt that I was working for Gwin, Dobson & Foreman again. They are an engineering firm that I worked for when I was 18 or 19. Scott, one of the engineers, had asked me to make a list of all the books in the office, and it came in handy, because we found this hidden room which had cabinets and cabinets full of jewelry and crafts and they let us keep whatever we cleaned out to make room for the books. I got a bunch of diamond rings and a phoenix ornament. When I walked out the end of the room, Emma and I were suddenly listening to the Pope give a speech and a wild-haired man was standing in front of the crowd, reading from the Bible.

Then I had a dream that Tom's friend Gary was in the hospital with cancer and I was visiting him. My mind is very strange.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home