In My Life

Life from Nov. 1, 2003 - the day I started my new life in Rochester, NY

Saturday, March 27, 2004

TGITWeekend

Busy week this one was. I worked a ton of hours, which didn't leave a lot of time for blogging, especially since I tend to procrastinate reading email and other people's blogs when I don't feel like writing or cleaning.

On Thursday, I had a little meltdown at the gym in the morning, because I've been having some problems with one of the girls' team coaches having an ego/power trip problem, and it's slowly been affecting not just me, but the kids, the other coaches, and even the parents are starting to notice. I had mentioned it a few times to my boss, but it really was reaching a point where he needed to address it with her, because she obviously has/had no respect for me, or my position at the gym, and is actually quite threatened by it.

My boss was really great, and addressed it right away by writing a detailed memo to *all* the coaches involved. He also talked to the one who works with her the most, and she was quite frank about her frustration level, and also admitted that this coach is playing people on purpose and was really enjoying thwarting me and pulling everyone's strings. BAH! ::::fume:::: And here I have been, trying to be nice and non-confrontational and non-threatening to make this all work.

Anyway, I feel like my boss is behind me now, and this woman knows what the expectations are (again!), so we'll see how it goes. At least everyone got their feelings off their respective chests.

On Friday, I had an awesome yoga class, as I do every week. A psychotherapist came for half the class. She used to be a mw and a doula, and she works a lot with birth issues/fears and postpartum issues. We basically went around the circle and talked about anything we were worried about.

It was interesting for me, because I was one of the few there who already have children, and to hear all those first time moms stress out about the birth for so long...LOL, I'd forgotten what that was like. I told them - not to minimize the importance of your birth experience - but it's one day out of your life :) It's everything that comes after that is the challenge! It led 7 of us to go out to lunch at the wonderful Mexican place and have a rousing discussion about sex and breastfeeding, circumcision and our husbands' penile issues, if any ;), elimination communication/diapers and dealing with unwanted advice. I enjoyed myself so much! I'm finally making friends and I hope we all stay together once the babies come. I know a few of us will, because we're thrown together all the time because of LLL, but I really like all of them so much!

It's kind of cool, as I think about the path I've taken so far. I used to really get up on my soapbox about parenting and birthing all the time, but now I save it for when it's worth it and when people ask for information or it comes up in discussion. I'm so comfortable with my choices, I don't feel compelled to defend anything anymore. Like I told one preggo first time mom - if someone has an issue with your decisions, make THEM show you the proof. Don't feel that you have to defend your choice (not to circumcize). She really got into that idea. I hope it's helpful.

Anyway, today I worked all morning and my girls helped me do ALL the envelope stuffing, stamping and folding and sorting for 4 hours, plus my boss' daughter and her best friend helped too. So he took us out for lunch at Wendy's after work, which I thought was so sweet. Our personal/work lives don't intersect at all, except for the fact that Tom is going to replace some siding on Mike's house, so it was nice. I'm soooo not religious though and they are, so I was a bit unprepared to say grace before we ate at Wendy's, but Emma took it in stride. I don't think Soren even noticed; she was too busy playing with her kid's meal toy ;).

I came home and napped while the girls put their laundry away. Tom is still working and I hope he gets home soon, because I'm starving! I need to send him to the store for food.

Tomorrow we're going to Cummins Nature Center, about an hour from here, where they're having a maple festival and pancake breakfast! It is supposed to be mid-60's F, so we can hike their gorgeous trails :).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home