In My Life

Life from Nov. 1, 2003 - the day I started my new life in Rochester, NY

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Margueritaville

Apropos of nothing, you know that Jimmy Buffet song? Well, it follows me. Everytime I turn on the radio, it's on. Weird. I also attract Tom Petty and Aerosmith tunes when I'm in my car.

But I'm wondering where the hell my shaker of salt is anyway? I'm so scattered. I have too much to do.

I"m still fighting with the Office of Aging about my dad. I had a fairly long talk with one of the board members of the assisted living facility and was *really, really, really* clear that I'm tired of being given the runaround. They may NOT come to me and tell me it is time to get the ball rolling to move him into more supervised care, and then tell the Office of Aging that they can handle it there with the recent supports they have added for him. Not to mention that those supports were to have been put in place a year ago, and weren't.

So if we wait six months, and he deteriorates more, and we still have a two to three month wait for a bed, where does that leave us? Ever heard of prevention, my dear?

They want me to come up to PA and meet with the staff and the Office of Aging social worker. The weekend I was planning on coming (Memorial Day) is of course the one weekend that the board director won't be there. :::sigh::: So I guess I will have to take a day off work and go. I'll have to see what the social worker's schedule is like. Tuesdays and Fridays are really the only good times at this point.

He (he, being my dad) is also now complaining that his hand still is causing him a lot of pain, so they are *finally* going to take him to the orthopedist. Duh. But they can't get him an appt. until the 26th. Why is it that nobody thinks of being a little more assertive with these appointment secretaries?

In other, more fun news, I was at work last night and got a call from the Emergency Room at Mount Nittany Medical Center, and my mother was there being admitted. I wanted to go this morning, but she insists that I not come, which I feel very torn about. However, Soren has her play today, which I hate to miss :-/. I don't want to be a grownup today. Anyway, she had a severe diabetic episode (my mom, not Soren) and her sugar dropped to 46, despite a glucose tablet and eating some fruit. She had the presence of mind to call 911, and was pretty out of it by the time the ambulance arrived.

She was complaining of nausea and pain in both arms, so they put her on a nitro patch, and she spent the night in telemetry. Her first EKG came back normal, and they did another this morning and have a kidney ultrasound scheduled. I am going to call back around noon and see if the doctor has been in yet.

But truly, in other more fun news, Soren's 6 year molar came through and she thinks it's really cool to be able to feel the points.

Also, JUDE finally popped a tooth? I can feel it on the bottom but can't get him to stay still long enough to see it. Very exciting! Maybe this explains his lack of sleep lately. Although my whinging must have worked the other day, because Sunday night he slept 4 hours and then 3 hours. Last night wasn't great, but not as bad as usual.

We're going to try to get to the Lilac Festival this morning, but I have to motivate the kids and take the car in to the shop to get my tire and a/c fixed. I also have to go to the bank and pick up the 'burban when I drop off the car. It took $1000 worth of work to get it inspected. Ick! There goes that tax return! (when what I really wanted was a Roomba!) Tom's work truck is dying too and we're looking for a replacement. He'll have to apply for a loan on his own though, given that I'm filing for bankruptcy next month. Argh.

Off to the races!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home