In My Life

Life from Nov. 1, 2003 - the day I started my new life in Rochester, NY

Sunday, May 22, 2005

I'm a wimp

The girls are with David this weekend. Despite my hardnosed attempts to get Emma to clean up her damn stuff ;), she hasn't gotten a single thing out of my (edited: it said "her closet," but her stuff was in MY closet) closet, but has beaten herself up about her inability to organize anything for 2 weeks now. So, I decided to have a go at it.

We had gone out and spent quite a bit of money on a new "big girl" decor for her room, with the understanding that she'd have to get rid of some stuff in order to make her space inhabitable and manageable. I think she was overwhelmed by the idea of it. So I did it for her. Very Bad Mommy.

I threw out 3 garbage bags of pure crap. I totally redecorated her room. I bought cool cube storage shelves and put them by her bed in stair format, so she can now reach her CD player from her top bunk, as well as her flashlight. Out of 6 cubes, she still has 2.5 that she can fill up. I consolidated her rock and seashell collection into one big basket. I cleaned out her closet and got 2 really cool plastic bins to put hats and bags in. For a tomboy, this kid has a HUGE selection of purses, backpacks and bags. Yet, she usually uses a plastic grocery sack to carry her stuff in when we go out. Strange.

Anyway, she stopped by w/ her dad yesterday and gasped with delight. I'll have to take some pictures soon. We got new bedding, new throw pillows, a throw rug, a new lamp, mirror, magnetic board, 70s lights to hang up over the mirror, all sorts of fun stuff. It looks great.

I spent 9 hours doing this yesterday. I barely did anything else. Mostly because my computer needs to have Windows reinstalled on it, but I don't have enough zip disks to back stuff up yet. I have to go to WalMart today and get some. I was going to get a fishbowl too, but the fair fish we rescued from a parking lot threw itself out of its container the other day. It survived the fall, but must have injured itself. I found it floating yesterday, so no need for a fishbowl after all.

Tom is finally doing my friend Jenny's SCREENS (Edited to fix friends. No, my husband is not doing my friend's friends. I don't know what was wrong with me this morning. I can only plead lack of caffeine.) She traded me a bunch of FuzziBunz for part of the labor, so she brought those over yesterday. I got an adorable frog print for the Larges. They are so cute!

Jude has slept like crap the last 2 nights. He wants to pop another tooth I think. He was so good while I worked on E's room yesterday though. Today I have to tackle Soren's and mine (although I got my closet totally cleaned out in the process of getting E's stuff out of it yesterday. At 3, we are going to a memorial service for veteran's in honor of Tom's dad, so this will be a short day in terms of hours to work on stuff.

And of course, now that I've got the upstairs going, downstairs is trashed ;). Although I did get a new bookshelf and put it together myself, and I hope to be able to unpack the rest of my books this week. Woot!

And hopefully I won't jinx myself, but I bought a new journal and some writing topics and am forcing myself to write again (other than journaling). I'm trying to make time to read from the book and write every other day. It feels really good. I miss writing desperately sometimes. I miss my job as a reporter. I miss freelancing. I would love to start freelancing again and selling articles. Maybe enough to just write. I bet I could make enough money if I worked hard.

Off to tackle Soren's room. I messed it up this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home