In My Life

Life from Nov. 1, 2003 - the day I started my new life in Rochester, NY

Thursday, April 15, 2004

I haven't able to update much, because I've been so busy while in PA. I stayed with my friend Erica, who was feverishly working on a paper that is due, so the girls didn't get to see much of her, but she was a perfect hostess as always!

On Saturday afternoon after I posted, I ended up bleeding a bit more than I was comfortable with and having regular braxton-hicks contractions. I paged my midwife but didn't hear back, so Erica took me to the Emergency Room at the hospital around 5:30 p.m. They shot me right up to Labor & Delivery. The volunteer who took me upstairs (in a wheelchair, no less!) was an older woman and when Erica mentioned that I was planning a homebirth, she said that she had had 2 hb's herself and thought that was the best way to go!

We got upstairs and I got changed into the requisite backless gown and climbed into bed, where they hooked me up to the machine to measure contractions after they found a good baby heartbeat of 138. That was reassuring to say the least. I asked Erica not to mention to the L&D staff that I was planning a hb, because I didn't want to have any snootiness from the nursing staff or the doctor.

Tom arrived right before the doctor, which was great. He had been at the house with a few friends packing up my piano and the rest of my furniture to move.

The doctor on call was brand new to the area and was very nice. He also said that I have a friable cervix. I can't find a good link that doesn't discuss cervical cancer, but basically for whatever reason, my cervix is easily irritated and bleeds easily. He also couldn't see any obvious infection and I've been tested for everything, but he gave me an antibiotic cream to use for seven days to see if it will clear up anything and possibly stop the bleeding. He was very funny and said "Don't put anything in your vagina except this cream for 7 days!" and the nurse subtly pointed out the "no sexual activity" restriction so as not to embarrass me in front of Erica ;). Like what does she think girlfriends talk about?

Anyway, when I got the prescription, I was in gales of laughter, as the instructions said to use one dose PER vagina every night! I know that that meant IN the vagina, but the idea of having multiple vaginas tickled my funnybone somehow.

Anyway, Tom headed back to NY early Sunday with all my stuff. The girls and I went to a very nice intergenerational service at the UU Fellowship and saw lots of friends. Then I took them back to their dad's and I can't remember what i did for the rest of the day!

On Saturday afternoon, I had a huge fight with my mother, as usual. I won't go into all the stupid things she said to me, but it was typical Betty. I am convinced that i started bleeding more because I popped a blood vessel in my cervix while yelling at her.

Sunday night I picked up the girls. Monday we visited with my mom for awhile, and had lunch with her. Then I took Emma to her friend Katri's, where she spent the evening. Soren and I hung out and had leftovers with my mom at her place.

Tuesday morning we visited my friend Anne and her girls, which was a blast! Then I took Emma to the Friends School for the afternoon and she went home and to gymnastics with her friend Gabrielle. Soren and I took a long nap in the afternoon. Then we went out to Red Lobster, where the Crab Alfredo pasta I ordered had been made with bad alfredo/milk. It was disgusting. I picked up Emma and G. at 8:30 p.m. and we visited with G.'s moms for an hour or so, which was lovely.

While we were at the gym, one of the older gymnasts was playing with Soren in the foam pit and mentioned that Soren was so much more fun than before we moved- that she never used to play or talk. It was so nice that even a 10 year old cold see the difference in Soren's behavior! Several other people mentioned it too :). It made me feel good that we're finally seeing some social improvements in her. ::whew:::

Yesterday morning I took the girls to their grandfather's in Altoona, and was supposed to meet up with Jen, our former babysitter, who is due with her baby at the end of May. We talked on the phone a couple of times and she told me to call her back after I went sneaker shopping but when I did, she didn't answer, and never called me back. I was pretty upset that she blew me off, because I wasted a bunch of time hanging out at the mall waiting for her call. However, I did get a good deal at Limited Too on 2 bed canopies for the girls for when we move.

I decided on the drive back to State College that I would head back to NY because I was so lonely without the girls already. I figured I could do a bunch of stuff at the house although Tom warned me that the house was trashed with all the furniture sitting in the middle of the living room. He was right! It's a mess ;). However, I have the whole day to get working on pieces of it, so that's a relief. We also got our completed taxes to sign last night and holy cow, we're getting a refund! I'll be able to pay off all outstanding bills and even part of the credit card! woohoo! I'm SO relieved. I hope it doesn't take too long to get our refund.

I'm sure there are other things I want to mention but I can't remember them now. Right now, I'm hoping to feel a definitive movement from the baby, who has been suspiciously quiet since Tuesday. I'm starting to get very anxious about that but feel bad about calling the midwife *again*. I'm starting to feel like a real worrywart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home