In My Life

Life from Nov. 1, 2003 - the day I started my new life in Rochester, NY

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Update

Things have been so busy, it's been impossible to blog. Jude is officially walking now. He walked halfway across my friend's kitchen on Sunday night and is taking steps and standing up from sitting by himself consistently now. He is so thrilled by his new accomplishments. He is also talking more and loves to play ball - especially the throwing part.

He also loves going up and down the stairs, necessitating me putting the gate up when I'm trying to do something other than follow him up and down ;).

Soren and Emma spent a week in Ohio with their dad. They had a great time; everytime they called they were excited and told me all the fun they were having. They went on a rowboat and Emma swam along behind, holding on to the tie rope. Soren and Emma also started swimming so well. Soren ran across a snake in the water while she was swimming and was mostly annoyed that it was in her way! Then she came out with a leech on her heel. Ewww! She was pretty freaked out by it. David didn't know to put salt on it, and pulled it off instead. It apparently bled quite a bit.

Soren also has her first loose tooth! It hurts her quite a bit I believe. Her teeth are quite crowded on the bottom and it's hard to wiggle it. Emma also is about to lose another tooth. It's been loose for about 8 months, believe it or not. It got jammed in between her own little crowded bottom teeth and the permanent tooth came in behind it. It's finally loose enough to come out and she won't pull it. It's driving me mad for some reason ;).

Jude got his second tooth in on the bottom and his first tooth on top is poking through too! So now he has 3 teeth. He's taken to biting while nursing unfortunately. And other times too. He is very congested right now, which doesn't help.

While the girls were gone last week, a bed became available for my dad at the nursing home. They didn't have a bed in the special needs unit downstairs, so will have him in the locked dementia unit during the days and sleeping upstairs at night until they can move him downstairs full time.

It was very difficult. We didn't tell him that he was moving until the night before, so that he wouldn't be agitated and create problems. He really never seemed to understand, even after he had spent two nights there, that this was where he was living. I made up his room as best I could to look like his room at the assisted living facility, but it is very confusing for him to spend the day downstairs and then go upstairs to sleep. He doesn't understand why he can't just go up to his room whenever he wants. I think it will be much easier when he's downstairs all the time.

He also wears an a bracelet that sets off alarms at elevators and doors if he goes in. A not very bright nurse tried to show me how to turn the alarm off in front of him. Duh. That's right, teach him that, and he'll be gone.

I hate seeing my dad have to be in a locked facility like this, but his dementia makes it the only safe option anymore. It is so very sad, there are really not words to describe it.

So, we went down on Friday and moved him in on Friday and Saturday. We spent some time with him on Sunday before we came home. Mike and Danielle were nice enough to watch Sully for us on short notice, especially because we were supposed to keep their boys overnight on Friday night so they could go away for their 10th wedding anniversary. They were able to make other arrangments, but I felt terrible. There was nothing for it though, as I didn't want to take a chance on losing his bed, and if I had tried to do it this week I would have had to take off work and find care for the girls.

So that's about it. I'm starting to work some more hours to get ready for fall. I think I shall have to resign myself to working Saturdays in the fall. I don't want to, but I don't see anything else I can do. We really need the money anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home