In My Life

Life from Nov. 1, 2003 - the day I started my new life in Rochester, NY

Monday, August 30, 2004

Weekend

Yikes! The police just came and arrested a young man from the house across the street! The guy that owns the house is a minister and seems like a sweet older guy, but I think his kids/family are not so moral as he would like ;).

Tom and I took the weekend off and drove around near Rochester to scout out some potential hiking/camping spots that we can hit later this fall or next spring/summer, depending on how ambitious I feel after the baby is born ;). We did NO work on the house at all, which was great, but also stressed me out a bit.

First we drove to Canandaigua (which incidentally, is also where we saw Norah Jones last week) to stop by my friend Jana's house, who had a wonderful treasure trove of baby stuff for us, so we crammed all that in the car. I also had put the baby seat in the car the other day to see if everyone would still fit in the back with a booster, a baby seat and a big kid. They seem to fit. Good thing Emma is teeny though!

When we stopped at The Outdoor Store on our way to Letchwork to get Tom some new work pants, some guy in a gold Jetta just like my old one asked if we had a baby in there. I climbed out so he could see my tummy and said "not yet!" He was amused ;).

Anyway, then we went to Letchworth, where we didn't end up hiking at all, because we both think it's criminal to pay $6 to get into a state park for an hour to look around. Geez, NY is so expensive! So we went to Mt. Morris Dam, which is on the other side of the state park and got all sorts of cool stuff about the Lewis & Clark Bicentennial, and the woman at the visitor's center gave us a free book for the kids since we mentioned we were homeschooling. It's wonderful and the woman who wrote it just moved back to Rochester.

Then, it was pouring down rain, so we got lunch at this little diner. Then we went to visit Sugar Creek Glen, a private camp, which from the website, I thought would be pretty um...campy...to say the least ;)> It ended up being beautiful and we got to drive around and see the different sites, although we didn't see any of the falls or swimming areas. I think we would definitely try camping there though. Then we came back to Rochester and had dinner and went to bed.

Yesterday, we went to Ithaca and it rained a lot and it was SO Hot, so we just shopped in the Commons for a bit; had dinner at Moosewood and OMG the food was incredible! Came home and slept. So it was very relaxing and this week we'll tackle the house in earnest. Of course, tonight is a wash, because Tom has to take a couch to his friend's house and then we're having dinner at Danielle's. Wednesday he is on call so I am going to stay there and we are going to clean in preparation for David and his dad staying there with the girls next weekend.

Speaking of the girls, I miss them sooo much. It's almost unbearable. I hate having them so far away and miss cuddling with them every morning :(.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home