In My Life

Life from Nov. 1, 2003 - the day I started my new life in Rochester, NY

Thursday, August 26, 2004

Brag, brag, brag

Emma has been working since April to try out for TOPS ,or Talent Opportunty Program (which I can't actually find on the TOPS website for some bizarre reason) which is separate from the Level 4 Team she will compete with this year. There don't seem to be any good websites that link to the testing, but basically, she has wanted to do this separate program that is based on strength and conditioning for some reason.

Based on the fact that I'm in the gym with her team most of the time, I was worried that she wouldn't make it. 16 kids were trying out and the team accommodates 8. 4 of them were on TOPS last year, which meant that they had an edge from doing all the conditioning for a whole year and were probably a shoo-in. Many of the other girls are bigger and seemingly stronger than Emma, who is admittedly strong, but lacks in consistent form. See, not only do they have to be strong, but they have to do the exercices with good form (tight body, pointed toes, etc.)

She really wanted me to come in and watch, which as an employee I could have done, but she was really nervous and I didn't want to make her worse, which I always do, because I'm either too hard on her or too sympathetic. I can't seem to strike a happy medium during practice.

So, I stayed in the lobby w/ the other moms and Soren, and crocheted and tried not to watch.

She got through the testing, which included timed leg lifts, pushups, pulls ups (while keeping the knees bent with a block on them which couldn't fall off), flexibility (splits and such), rope climb with no feet 12 feet above ground, cast handstand on the bar and roundoff + 4 backhandsprings on floor and I'm sure some other things I'm forgetting.

Wednesday night I went in and found the results in my box. Um, the kid came in ranked *2*. Yep, that's second place, tying one of the strongest kids in the gym, and beating out 2 other TOPS kids from last year by a long shot. the highest score was 34 and hers was 31. 18 would be impossible for most normal people to achieve.

The best part of the whole experience for me was that when we left the testing and got in the car she said, "Even if I don't make the team, I feel like *I* did well. I really tried my hardest." ::::heart melts::: I was so proud of her!

So, she made the TOPS team, which costs more and means another night at the gym but she worked her butt off for it, and it proved to the owner that she really DOES have what it takes to compete this year and when push came to shove, she showed them all :).

Soren is now on a mission to catch up btw :-O. She exhausted herself today at the gym while I was at work. She was so pale tonight I was worried! She's gotten used to being the young and cute one that everyone fusses over, and all the attention that Emma got yesterday has her on her toes, which isn't a bad thing probably, but they've never been very competitive.

Ramble, ramble. Must sleep. Have to pack the kids to go to the beach tomorrow w/ their dad and his dad. For a week. I am going to miss them despearately but am looking forward to uninterrupted unpacking and cleaning time before the baby makes his appearance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home