In My Life

Life from Nov. 1, 2003 - the day I started my new life in Rochester, NY

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

TGIW?

Nope, it was a loooong day! Actually, yesterday was a long day too.

We spent the morning finishing cleaning and doing some minor packing, then we drove across the city to the natural food store, and then back to our suburb to the grocery store, spending a skillion dollars in the process. I had to make dinner today for my friend who had the twins, and wanted to make an awesome vegetarian casserole - but enough for us too.

Emma had requested tacos for dinner, which I don't think I've made in literally years, but it ended up being perfect, since we had about 1/2 hour to get them to gymnastics by the time we got home from the store.

I sent them upstairs to pack their overnight bag for the ILs (last night was the last Bradley class), and then we ate quickly (they both ate 2 tacos - score!) and we ran to the gym. I sat there until 5pm., thinking that Soren had class then, but then realized that it wasn't till 6 pm. which worked out b/c Emma's coach was already planning to take Emma to the ILs (directly behind the gym) after practice anyway, and this way she could take Soren too and my MIL, who is a horrific driver, didn't have to pick Soren up. :::whew::: That was the run-on sentence from hell. My apologies.

Bradley class was good - mostly about newborns and breastfeeding. I am mostly relieved to have the classes over with at this point. My friend Patty is due on the 19th so made it through the whole series! Her mom was here and is staying till after the baby comes, which is very cool.

Today I picked the girls up and they *were still asleep*! Ack! I rushed them out of bed, my MIL got them some fruit and poptarts and we made it the gym just a little late. When I picked them up, Emma informed me that she had injured her pinky finger last night. It looked pretty swollen still, so I put a call into the doctor, not realizing that this would put events into motion that would totally destroy any semblance of normalcy for the rest of the day ;).

I worked till noon and Soren attended the youth gymnastics camp while we were there. Emma was very frustrated and tearful because her finger hurt too much to do much of anything. I felt really badly for her :(. I called the doctor and got in at 2:15 p.m. So we left work early, at noon, and ran home to cook Jenny's dinner (and ours). Of course, I had promised the girls we could make candy apples today because the mix has been on the counter for 2 months and I kept putting them off. So that had to be accomplished first. What a sticky mess on a humid, t-stormy kind of day! But they are appreciated, which made it all worthwhile.

I made this wonderful recipe - a mexican cornbread vegetarian dish, which turned out awesome - we only had one piece left after dinner because we ate so much!

I got it all ready, stuffed us in the car, and we got to the doctor on time. They saw us pretty quickly and determined that she really needed an xray and to see the orthopedist because of how involved in gymnastics she is, and because of where the injury was. She hyperextended her pinky finger by falling down while running (yes, this is a kid who can do 4 back handsprings in a row, but she can't walk in a straight line without falling down and hurting herself. God forbid she ever have to walk a line for a drunk driving test ;)).

They ended up taking 4 xrays, but feel that she injured the growth plate above her bottom knuckle. I really think the PA was considering casting it, because it has to be treated like a fracture, but she eventually decided just to tape it - they couldn't even use the splint they wanted to use because her fingers are so tiny!

She said no tumbling or uneven bars for 2 weeks, egads! Emma is freaking out. On week 3 she can do it with her fingers taped up. We'll see how long she lasts w/o throwing some tumbling in behind our backs. the PA said that the best way to test the healing is to press right above the knuckle and not to tumble on it until it no longer hurts, because there is an increased risk of dislocation if she reinjures it. Good grief. Part of me feels like I should have just taped it up myself and called it a sprain and followed common sense for resting it ;). BUT, I'll do my best to make her rest for the prescribed time. Her coaches are more in line with toughing it out, but I'm her mom this time, not her coach :P.

After the two appointments, we finally got over to Jenny's, saw ONE of the twins (the other was napping) and she is gorgeous - looks just like her older siblings :). I want to try to stop for a longer visit on Friday.

Then we headed home - it was a nightmare! Tons of rush hour traffic, a huge t-storm that left me unable to drive more than 40 mph on the expressway, and a 20 minute drive turned into almost an hour. I was supposed to be at work at 4:30 and didn't get there till 6:30 - what a waste. I was only there for an hour and spent most of that time answering questions about Emma's injury.

Tom took the girls to Danielle and Mike's new house to work on stuff. They should be home by 10 p.m. I came home, cleaned up the dinner from our slapdash dinner - thank goddess I had it ready to stick in the oven so Tom could put it in when he got home from work. I threw in some laundry and have retired for the day.

Tomorrow morning I work again, and Emma gets to suffer through practice and Soren goes to camp again, and then we're coming home and packing for a few hours, because it's supposed to rain. Then I have a midwife appointment, but Tom is going to miss this one (the only one so far!) because he's on call and can't leave the property.

Ahhh, sleep sounds good ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home