In My Life

Life from Nov. 1, 2003 - the day I started my new life in Rochester, NY

Monday, June 13, 2005

accident

I haven't had time to update for a while, because Jude is just SO busy and it is really hard to get on the computer unless he's nursing and then he tries to type even while he's nursing!

I took 8 kids with me in the truck on Saturday to Utica to go to a meeting on the new gymnastics routines for next year. But we didn't make it. Or at least I didn't. The Suburban blew out a back tire near Syracuse (about 1.5 hours from Rochester) and I lost control of the truck and hit a WalMart tractor trailer when I spun.

Thank God all the kids were belted in and nobody was hurt. The semi didn't even stop. The state trooper said he may not have even known that I hit him. We got the girls in the other 2 cars that were traveling to the meeting, double belted, and 4 of them rode with the trooper to the next rest stop. I wasn't able to get a rental because every place closed at noon on Saturday. I spent the afternoon waiting with Jude to get picked up by another parent.

We managed to get all the kids home again because there were two other parents there with cars, but it was tough. We were SO lucky. I really thought we were all going to die when the truck started to spin. It is a miracle that it didn't flip.

I think that the damage is pretty minimal, all things considered, but because it's an '84, I'm afraid that the insurance company will total it. Which sucks, b/c we just spent $1600 to get it inspected. Ugh.

I'm just so grateful that we were all safe. The trooper was there in minutes. A truck driver stopped behind us and radioed for help and to tell the other rigs behind him to slow down. He helped me pull the truck off the road and get the kids all out. The girls ALL screamed when it happened and then Jude started to shriek.

I've never been in an accident before. I hope this is the only one I ever have to experience. I'm still afraid to drive.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How scary! I'm so glad no one was hurt.

     
  • At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OMG Kelly! Thank goodness everyone is ok. I can imagine how scary it was. ((((Hugs)))))

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger Annalise said…

    Terrifying. I'm glad you're all okay.

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know the feeling... had the same thing happen (spinning) that time on 80 in PA... it's terrifying. Glad everything is okay.

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    thanks for all the good thoughts!

     
  • At 8:44 AM, Blogger D. Marini said…

    Ugh, I am so glad you guys are ok. How awful!

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm so glad that everyone is okay.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home