In My Life

Life from Nov. 1, 2003 - the day I started my new life in Rochester, NY

Monday, November 08, 2004

Life is..

never dull. I'm thinking of Sue. It brings back memories of my own separation and divorce, which was a tumultous and frightening time. Send good thoughts and mojo her way.

We went to the hospital last night. Tom's mom was under the impression - which makes sense now that i think about it - that they were moving him "down to Comfort Care" which, when my BIL told her about it, was on the first floor. FIL is currently on the 3rd floor. But she had to sign something. When we got there - and bless Tom and his mother, but they are not used to navigating the medical system or jargon at all - it turned out that Comfort Care is terminology for moving the level of CARE down from Conservative Care. Basically, they wanted to know if they should continue to treat his high heart rate, or if they should just keep him comfortable, until he...well, you know. I'm still not sure my MIL *gets* this. But anyway, they decided to medicate his heart rate and move him to Telemetry to be monitored.

The meds have the undesirous effect of possibly lowering his heart rate enough to make his heart "pause," a euphemism for stop. Then they have to give him other meds to make his heart rate increase again, but because his heart is in failure, this has the potential to shoot his rate up over 200, which could lead very quickly to another heart attack. I did ask him if he understood the risks of going this route and he said he did. So.

It was a very sad visit. I feel so badly for my MIL - she's trying to hold it together. I think she would feel better if she had a good cry, myself. Tom is short with the kids and very quiet. I wish I could do more, but taking the kids up to visit his dad seems to cheer him up. His dad enjoys the baby so much and Jude is generally accommodating - hanging out on the bed with FIL, smiling and cooing the whole evening :). What a good baby he is!

Speaking of Jude, he has his VCUG today. I have to work tonight and teach again. I really wish I could quit my job sometimes. I just don't feel like dealing with juggling the baby and work. I can't even keep up with the house and homeschooling, it seems.

Well, Jude is now getting tired of me being online, so I'm headed out for a busy day. I want a cleaning fairy for Solstice, OK? One who knows what to do with clutter!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home